As mentioned previously, we went to Sylamore, Ark. for one of Michael’s races. He ran 32 miles in that race. There was snow and ice all over the place. Especially on the north side of the mountains. The girls didn’t make the trip with us because originally we were going to camp in the van. One of Michael’s runner buddies called and said that one of her friends isn’t going anymore and we could have the room. Score!

We had Valentine’s Day with the girls that morning. I woke up super early and made the oat flour begian waffles, one of their faves! Addison doesn’t go to school on Fridays. So after opening their Valentines we dropped EK off at school for a half day.

We picked her up and we went and ate at our Mexican joint before dropping them off at my parent’s house.

We drove to Arkansas and checked Michael in and tried to go look at the river he would have to cross in the race. We couldn’t get to the river because the road was a solid sheet of ice. So we went and checked in to the “lodge.” We stopped at Walmart and I got some candles because its a fishing lodge and kinda not your typical hotel. After we got settled in, we went to Jack’s restaurant for our Valentine’s dinner. I think that is the first time we have ever been to a restaurant in the 20 years that we have been together. I got a salsbury steak as big as my head and it was very good! Michael got some sort of fish platter I believe. We came back to our room and watched the Olympics.

We got up early and readied ourselves. The race started at 7:00. I stayed and took some pictures and left to go into town to check my phone, no service where we were. I came back to the room and hung out for a few hours and decided to pack my junk and go sit at the finish line to watch him cross. He was hoping to PR at 4:00, I waited and waited and waited and finally saw his florescent yellow shirt, almost 2 hours later.

We ordered the largest cheeseburger I have ever put in my mouth and waited on friends to finish. The race was tough. Michael has said that running those 32 milers are more difficult than running 100. He said there was snow and ice all over and very hard to “run” over. He said he slid on his bum a good bit. But he finished, and that’s all that matters in my book!

He also got some exciting news that he and James, Erno, and Carol got into the Cascade Crest 100 miler on 8/23 of this year. So we are making plans to take ourselves to Seattle for them to run it. All we have planned thus far is hotel rooms. We are looking at cabins and are hoping to make travel plans soon. We are super excited because we have never been to that part of the country before. Pumped!

Anyways, after the race, everyone gets cleaned up and heads to a big bonfire and potluck. He has been to this race many many times, but I have never been able to go because I’ve been pregnant, had little babies, or nursing a baby. So boom, I got to go! Next year we will bring the girls. We already have a room reserved!

We had fun at the party and the whole weekend. I told Michael on our Valentine’s dinner that I always feel like part of me is missing when our kids aren’t there. It was just us two at dinner, and such an unusual feeling. We rolled out early Sunday morning to head home and see those little kids!

Eating bacon and waffles. These three, love them so!
Valentine’s goodies!
Our view from the lodge.
An amazing road to drive on!
And Michael crossing the finish line, backward shirt and all.
EK also got her green belt while we were gone!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s